Polyurethane materials & adhesives boost crash safety and power in EV batteries
Innovative materials are the key to overcoming electric vehicle pain points
Pultrusion technology for cost-efficient composite battery housing
Covestro solutions outperform benchmark materials in multiple crash test simulations
We tested a range of battery housing designs that used pultruded polyurethane in the bottom plate, struts, and frame. Our Baydur® PUL solution outperformed a benchmark pack of current materials in two key simulations - a crash test based on a Chinese standard, and a side-pole crash test based on NCAP requirements. The simulation measured energy absorption and deformation, and results showed very low likelihood of damage to the battery cells with the Covestro design. Also, in three UNECE R100 tests evaluating mechanical integrity, mechanical shock and vibration, the Covestro battery design produced excellent results.
Thermal interface materials for higher battery speed and lower recharge time
Within the battery housing, the purpose of gap fillers and adhesive materials is to improve the heat transfer from the battery cells to the cooling devices. Better heat transfer means a higher performing battery cell. TIMs integrating our Desmodur® and Desmophen® polyurethane products are much lighter and more heat conductive than conventional aluminum oxide-based metals, giving the electric vehicle more power and faster charging. They also isolate overheated cells from each other, lowering the risk of fire.
This innovative battery pack not only delivers on crash safety, significantly outperforming benchmark materials in crash tests, but is also lightweight and modular.
- Strong and rigid Pack significantly outperforms benchmark housing materials in crash testing.
- Lightweight Polyurethane-based materials are lighter than aluminum oxide casing metals.
- Increased safety Less likelihood of battery deformation during a crash.
- Cost-efficient Pultrusion is an established manufacturing process for durable composite parts.
- Modular Pultruded panels can be used in modular way in large and small battery packs.