Our plastics enable on-body drug delivery innovation
Biologic drugs derived from organic sources are used to treat cancer, diabetes and other diseases. Thanks to an on-body device made with an innovative combination of our Makrolon® and Bayblend® plastics, it is now possible to comfortably and safely self-administer biologics.
Biologics need to be injected or infused. Typically, this used to require inconvenient visits to specialty healthcare facilities or painful self-injections of high viscosity medications. To solve these challenges, Enable Injections set out to develop a disposable on-body drug delivery device.
Enable Injections wanted a solution that would let patients self-administer high-volume and/or high-viscosity therapeutics - made with materials that ensure patient safety as well as the durability, bio-compatibility and aesthetics of the device.
We worked closely with Enable Injections on everything from material selection to in-house part testing and manufacturing support. Specifically, the housing of the device features Makrolon® Rx1805 polycarbonate in a purple tint. In addition, a Bayblend® M850 XF polycarbonate / acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (PC+ABS) blend in a white tint is used in the transfer system, which allows the patient to easily transfer the biologic drug from its original container to the Enable on-body delivery device.
Why Makrolon® and Bayblend® were the right solution for Enable Injections
- Proven quality: Both materials used are biocompatible according to ISO 10993-1 standards.
- Medical grade: Makrolon® Rx1805 can be sterilized with high-energy radiation.
- Strong & stable: Bayblend® M850 XF provides high dimensional accuracy, stability and toughness.
- High lipid resistance: Makrolon® Rx1805 is not easily damaged by lipids.
- Heat resistant: Bayblend® M850 XF PC+ABS blend resists damage by heat up to 131°C (Vicat B/120).